In line with the amendments and additions to the Constitution of Turkmenistan on the basis of the wise democratic initiatives for the future of our hero Arkadag, the current legislative acts in our country are also being continuously improved. Also, amendments and addenda are also being made to the Electoral Code of Turkmenistan as part of measures to ensure the democratic principles of suffrage in accordance with the requirements of the modern developed world. Asking to elaborate on the measures taken, we asked Geok Abayev, a lawyer of the central commission for holding elections and referendums in Turkmenistan, with a number of questions:
– Geok Saparmammedovich, as we know, please, tell us about the Electoral code of Turkmenistan, which came into force on June 1, 2013, and the amendments and additions it has made to the present day.
– Electoral Code of Turkmenistan - regulates relations related to the preparation and conduct of referendums, elections of the President of Turkmenistan, members of the Milli Gengesh of Halk Maslahaty of Turkmenistan and deputies of the Mejlis, members Gengesh and the halk maslahaty of the velayat, the city entitled velayat, the etrap, the city entitled etrap, and guarantees that the citizens of Turkmenistan will be able to freely express their will in elections and referendums. The Electoral Code in force in our country consists of 110 articles and 18 sections.
Based on international and national experience from the date of entry into force of the Electoral Code of Turkmenistan, total of 8 changes and additions were made. Those changes and additions are as follows:
The first amended and supplement of the Electoral code was on August 16, 2014. Based on the changes and additions made that year, it was determined that national observers could be appointed by the candidates in the elections, as well as the five-year term of office of the district and precinct election commissions.
The second amendment to the code was made on October 15, 2016. It field, the right of public associations to nominate candidates in elections has been revoked, and the right to nominate candidates in elections has been restricted to political parties and civil group of citizens.
For the third time, the Code was amended on January 28, 2017, more specifically, Article 78, Part 1 of the Electoral Code of Turkmenistan, to publish the election results in the media no later than 7 days later.
For the fourth time, on November 25, 2017, amendments and additions were made to a total of 10 articles of the Electoral Code of Turkmenistan, they include changes and additions to the election in Turkmenistan on the last Sunday of March.
For the fifth time, on June 9, 2018, a total of 2 articles of the Electoral Code of Turkmenistan were amended and supplemented.
For the sixth time, on December 1, 2018, a total of 10 articles of the Electoral Code of Turkmenistan were amended and supplemented.
As you know, with the adoption of the Constitutional law of Turkmenistan "On amendments and supplements to the Constitution of Turkmenistan" it was transferred to the bicameral parliamentary system.
In this regard, for the seventh time, on October 24, 2020, the Law of Turkmenistan on Amendments and Supplements to the Electoral Code of Turkmenistan was adopted. Changes and additions to the electoral code are related to the transition of Milli Gengesh of Turkmenistan to a two-chamber system. The Electoral Code of Turkmenistan has included a new section 6 (VI1) №. 1 "Elections of the members of Halk Maslahaty". The new section includes 18 newly added items (501 - 5018). Other than that, amendments and additions have been made to the 55 article of the Electoral code. Also section 14 of the Electoral code has been renamed.
For the eighth time, the Electoral code of Turkmenistan was amended on March 13, 2021. On the basis of that amendment, article 4 of the Electoral code changes in management-boundary structure, early cancellation of velayat, etrap, city halk maslahaty, Gengesh, as well as a member of the Halk Maslahaty, in connection with the early termination of the powers of a deputy of the Mejlis, members of the velayat, etrap, a city halk maslahaty, and Gengeshes, it was determined that their elections could be held at other times as well.
– Geok Saparmammedovich, please tell us about the purpose of the amendments and additions to the Electoral code of Turkmenistan.
– The main purpose of the amendments and additions to the Electoral Code of Turkmenistan is to take into account the experience gained in the world, consists in improving the legal framework of the electoral system in accordance with the requirements of the times. Also the right of citizens eligible to vote and to be elected in a democratic manner comply and ensure that elections are held in a transparent and organized manner.
Universally common recognized international, embodying democratic norms the Constitution of Turkmenistan, continuously improvement of the Electoral code of Turkmenistan and modernization of amendments and additions, the elections in our country is based on democratic principles, it is clear that Turkmenistan adheres to the universally recognized international norms and democratic principles. This is due to the fact that in today's turkmen society, the responsibility of citizens for the implementation of reforms in our country is increasing, shows that the democratic principles of the free expression of the will of our citizens, that is, the guarantee of their suffrage, are being strengthened.
Taking the opportunity, we wish the prosperous work of our esteemed President, who creates all the necessary conditions for the conduct of democratic elections in our country, a prosperous, healthy and a long life!
– Thank you so much for your impressive talk!
Recorder of the interview H. OVEZOV.